Share this Post
Smart Security System For Your Self Build – Interview With Home Control Scotland
After investing a big part of your life-savings into building your dream home, the next question that might come to mind is: how to ensure your house is properly secured. It may be sensible to install a security system, and with the current advancements in this technology it does not have to be an expensive investment. You are now able to buy peace of mind for an affordable price, and can manage it from the convenience of your smart phone. If a Smart Security System is something that you have ever considered installing, this article is for you.
Smart security system give you control of surveillance cameras, alarm systems, lighting, blinds and door entry remotely from one app on your smart phone. You can access view your cctv system in real-time via the internet. To find out more about home security systems, we contacted specialists from Home Control Scotland, and asked them about the recent developments in the smart security industry and to share their top tips with our self-builders.
FIRST OF ALL, WHO ARE HOME CONTROL SCOTLAND, AND WHERE ARE YOU BASED?
Home Control Scotland Limited design, supply and install bespoke Home Automation & Home Entertainment systems. We are based in Edinburgh.
WHAT SERVICES, APART FROM SMART SECURITY SYSTEMS DO YOU PROVIDE?
We offer a full range of services including Home Networking (whole house managed Wi-Fi), Mood lighting control, Multi room HD TV, Multi room music, Home cinemas, Control of motorised blinds, Heating control, Door entry systems. The list is almost endless. However, the starting point of any project is to work with our clients to develop a bespoke design. The design service is crucial to the success of the project. Once completed we produce a set of hard-wired structured cabling plans. Once the cables are installed they will support the functionality discussed with our client at design stage.
HOW POPULAR IS THE INSTALLATION OF SMART SECURITY SYSTEMS AMONGST THE SELF-BUILDERS?
Smart security systems have become increasingly popular over the past few years. We have seen significant growth in the use of IP cameras that can be monitored remotely. Many of our clients spend a lot of time travelling or at work, monitored CCTV offers peace of mind when not at home. We have also seen a rise in popularity of mood lighting control and motorised blinds. Lights and blinds can be programmed to be activated in the evening or morning to make the house look occupied even when it is not. These features act as a complimentary security measure compared to more traditional security systems like CCTV.
WHAT KEY FEATURES DOES AN AVERAGE SMART SECURITY SYSTEM CONSIST OF?
The key features of any smart system we would install would be:
- ability to easily control/monitor the system remotely via smart phone or tablet app,
- ability to receive txt/mobile alerts,
- ability to open/close locks and doors remotely,
- and of course reliability.
WHAT ARE THE NEWEST FUNCTIONALITIES IN THIS MATTER?
Biometrics has many advantages that lend themselves to smart security systems. Voice control along with finger print recognition are two examples that are being used in the latest security systems.
AS THEY CAN BE CONTROLLED REMOTELY VIA INTERNET, IS THERE ANY RISK THAT THE SMART HOME SECURITY SYSTEM WILL BECOME HACKED, AND EVENTUALLY WILL ENABLE BURGLARS TO CONTROL YOUR HOME?
Very Unlikely. All systems are set up on a secure network with the highest level of encryption protection via Virtual Private Networks (VPN’s).
DOES IT HAVE ANY BACK-UP SYSTEM IN CASE OF INTERNET/POWER FAILURE?
All systems we install are backed up to a physical hard drive, cloud based storage or both.
ON AVERAGE HOW MUCH DOES THE INSTALLATION OF A SMART SECURITY SYSTEM COST?
Generally, on a large new self-build projects customers spend between £2000 – £5000 on security. Price depends on the size and complexity of the system. The level of integration with automation systems like Control4 will also affect the price.
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 TIPS TO SELF-BUILDERS CONSIDERING INSTALLING A SMART HOME SECURITY SYSTEM?
- Speak to a professional Smart Home installer prior to starting your project to understand what systems are available, how the systems work and how much the systems cost. Don’t be afraid to ask the company for references or to have a look at a similar project they have completed or are working on.
- Always hard wire your security system.
- Run cables for future functionality. For instance, if you think you may want CCTV or a door entry system in the future, install the cables during the electrical first fix and leave the cables dormant. This avoids retro fitting cables when the build is finished and means all cables can be hidden within the fabric of the building rather than surface mounted.
- Do not use your electrician to install your security system! It is perfectly acceptable for the electrician to install the cables on behalf of a smart home security professional but installation and set of the system must be undertaken by a recognised smart home professional.
- Once installed, get your system maintained on a regular basis or enter a maintenance agreement with your installer.
Share this Post